Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A New Composting Project!



So I've been running a composting co-op where I pick up food scraps from my neighbors. It currently serves 17 households and a preschool.  I'm doing it for the finished product, to keep stuff out of the landfill, to help educate people on composting, and to get people thinking about the landfill. It's been a great project. I'm still working on this one with gusto, but now I've got a new baby!


For this second project I've selected a business to compost for. Rainbow Foods has graciously and gratefully decided to fill buckets with deli and produce scraps and set them aside for me. I will be picking up about 15 gallons every other day. I'm keeping the two projects completely separate so I can have two different sets of data: one where material is added once a week and one where material is added every other day. I keep notes on weight, volume, and temperature to make sense of this all. I like to know exactly what is going on, and I also want these volunteer projects to provide solid data that can be used to create composting co-ops all over Juneau. It's exciting!