Saturday, June 9, 2012

Home is where the...garden is

Carcross morning 




The exceedingly wet and cold weather this spring has me already thinking "it'll be better next year."

It sent me to the Yukon and B.C searching for blue sky a possibly a new spread.







Shooting stars
Upon my return I was greeted by the 5 day growth spurt of my garden. Juneau always does that sort of thing. My garden  hasn't seemed to notice the lack of spring and has just leaped and bound on to summer mode. Greens for salads are abundant and we're swimming in rhubarb. The jungle aspect of the garden is in full force with frilly ferns nearly as tall as I am and skunk cabbage taller than Huck. The elderberries have covered their artful skeletons and busted out their corsages. Cloudberries are popping up everywhere, strawberries are sending runners, and dwarf dogwood is sporting it's bracts. I figure that if my garden is welcoming summer, so should I. Wearing complete rubber armor is a luxury. John Muir didn't have it this good!

 I keep weeding the chickweed and feeding it to the chickens. They love it so I guess I should too since it beats organic feed, which is .$.74 a pound. I wish I had known, though, when I made my first few beds, that the nitrogen in horse manure is not worth the weed seeds. Horse manure should definitely be hot composted to kill the weed seeds before using. What a resource all of those horses could be if their stall muckings were mixed with food scraps! Anyone need a project?


Toscano kale

European salad mix
I did some thinning today and put a few things in pots to bring to the Sunday Market. I'll have green leaf lettuce, Toscano kale, dwarf green curled kale, and Red Russian kale. I'll also be selling some fresh oregano, sage, and thyme. I'm lucky and grateful. I also ate a big fat salad full of homegrown greens and chives tonight. Can't beat it!