Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Eating is Wonderful

Sometimes there's just so much fresh food to eat my belly never has time to growl. Here's what a plate sees on a typical day at our house:

Breakfast (6 local ingredients)

Burritos:
     Local: Eggs, kale, onions, chives, chicken of the woods mushrooms
     Purchased: butter, tortilla, hot sauce


Lunch (10 local ingredients)

Salad:
     Local: 3 or so varieties of lettuce, kale, nasturtiums, onions, peas, carrots, garlic tops, chives
     Purchased: olive oil, vinegar + flour, yeast, salt, and butter for homemade croutons


Supper ( 7 local ingredients)

Stir Fry
     Local: Moose steaks, onion, kale, garlic, garlic tops, chicken of the woods mushrooms, parsley
     Purchased: Rice and hot sauce


When I opened up the rice lid--after having prepared the colorful stir fry--I was utterly disappointed. What a bland and distant pot compared to the skillet! The only reason I made it is because Huck would have eaten moose and nothing else otherwise

Dessert (2 local ingredients)
Tea and berries
   Local: mint, nagoon berries, thimble berries, or red huckleberries, oh my!
   Purchased: optional butter, oatmeal, flour, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds if we want a crisp


25 local ingredients in one day. 
We are so lucky to eat so well! 
(and you could be this lucky too!)

Can you believe my son won't try a vegetable even when I prepare them like this?! 
At least I get a kick out of it!


 .....Now if I can only grow my own chilies to make my own hot sauce!