Friday, January 18, 2013

Hello Again

Welcome to a new year! Three months have passed since the last post and, really, I have no excuses. I'll say I was hibernating. Here's a short recap:






October saw commercial shrimping for Atlin and Huck....tasty! 
 Every year we spend Thanksgiving week out deer hunting on Chichagof Island. This year the weather made things really tough--with two of us hunting for 7 days we only got one deer. (We saw upwards of 35 does, but only two bucks.) Atlin made jerky out of the whole thing--delicious, but meat sure doesn't last very long that way. It's a good thing we still have moose and goat in the freezer! The best part of this trip was that Huck hiked with us for 4 days. It was his first deer hunting season where he didn't have to get carried at all. Things sure are coming together now that he's four!


Dressed female turkey


November also saw the butchering of our two turkeys. The Thanksgiving female was quite a bit smaller than the Christmas male. She was about 20 pounds and he 40. They were amazingly delicious, and provided an abundance of leftovers for extended family and ourselves. I boiled the carcass down and made several batches of stock to freeze for soups, and I bagged 8 meals worth of meat. We've been eating wonderful, fresh soup with homegrown potatoes, carrots, parsley, onions, garlic, and turkey. Too bad I have to buy the celery.

 
December has been the month of eggs--I'm selling 6-10 dozen a week! When we returned from our hunting trip the refrigerator was packed with a couple hundred eggs. Luckily, this town has a high demand for fresh eggs!

 January brought me full circle with my composting co-op project--ONE FULL YEAR of community composting! It was long and hard with it's ups and downs, but I made it. About two months into the project, I thought,"Can I really do this for a year?! Now I feel like I can go on forever!

More about these and other projects in the near future--I'm going to try to get back to doing weekly posts. It maybe be winter, but the harvest isn't over!